Tuesday 16 June 2009

This was supposed to be the Tillside report…

At the untimely passing of long time Wooler player Sandy Scott, our own Mick Williams lays aside his Mr Calm alter-ego to pay tribute to one of the leagues greats.

“Well, I was going to whinge & bleat, (as usual, some might say), about the unfairness of circumstances relating to 2nd teams, etc, etc. However, events over the last week or so have made anything that annoys me or members of our happy little crew, completely inconsequential.

I remember in the early days of my career this obdurate but immensely talented opening batsman for Wooler who annoyed me intensely. If you bowled short to him he would cut/hook/pull you for runs; you bowled up to him he would drive you straight or through the covers for more runs. He could sledge with the best of them & as years rolled, (too quickly), by, a grudging respect began to form in my mind. He was also a fine Gully/Point fielder & a Man Utd supporter.

Playing Wooler wont be the same, now. He would want us to carry on but cricket doesn't really matter that much today. The whole League will, I'm sure, pay tribute to this cricketer/man/friend, we should cherish the memories we have of him.

Thank you Sandy, I'll miss you.”

Mick Williams - 16/06/2009

 

To follow up, all of us at Rock CC would like to offer our condolences to Sandy’s family and friends. He will be missed greatly throughout the local cricketing community and it was a pleasure to spend the afternoon in his company only a few weeks ago during our away game at Wooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment